Press Alt+P, Enter for Previous
Press Alt+B, Enter to return to Main FAQ
Press Alt+N, Enter for Next
The Jazz Guitar Group have created posting guidelines that illustrate what should be included when asking for information and replying to a post. These guidelines are included in the welcome materials and are available in the Files section. They were produced to ensure all our members can easily read the posts, and in particular for our visually impaired and blind members.
YJGG Users Guide
Please ensure all posts comply with Yahoo! Groups Guidelines. See: Yahoo! Groups Guidelines
Yahoo! Groups routes all messages through SpamGuard, an advanced spam-control system. We have found that messages which don't follow the guidelines are often automatically filtered out by spamguard.
Our General Posting Guidelines:
1. Post in Text format and not HTML. If you don't know how to do that go here: http://www.expita.com/nomime.html or http://www.usenet.org.uk/ukpost.html
2. Limit line length to 60 characters across, otherwise Yahoo and other e-mail programs will wrap the text at wrong points or not wrap it at all. Most text editors will allow you to set the text wrap at column 60.
3. Edit your message. When replying use "Inline Posting" and eliminate headers and footers, group help text and advertisements. (to/from/subject/date, etc., and signature lines). Read: How do I edit my replies ...?
4. Do not use excessive quoting. Use [snip] to designate where you have cut text from the original post. Quote only enough so that the subject being replied to can be understood. Don't quote an entire post in reply unless the whole quote is required to understand the subject matter. Never quote a whole email just to say "thanks" or that you agree with the poster.
5. Always place an appropriate title in the subject header. Keep it short and succinct. For a more comprehensive guide about writing good questions, you can read Eric Raymond's "How to Ask Questions the Smart Way". It's a bit geeky, but the overall concepts apply anywhere. See: http://www.catb.org/~esr/faqs/smart-questions.html
6. Use a signature on all posts. Signature lines may be a maximum of 4 lines for personal or professional information. Read Signature Etiquette
7. Don't post private email or telephone numbers without permission.
8. Don't indulge in blatant self-promotion. YJGG SHOULD NOT BE USED AS AN EXTENSION OF YOUR MAILING LIST TO PROMOTE YOUR CD's, SERVICES OR PRODUCTS. Our members do not appreciate posts which advertise product solely; but they will listen to those who regularly contribute posts to YJGG and help promote YJGG. See: I want to promote my book, online workshop ...? and I want to promote my CD/MP3 ... ?
9. Comply with generally accepted netiquette. See:http://www.dtcc.edu/cs/rfc1855.html Please do not post invites to other web forums or crosspost to other web forums. Webmasters of sites with lessons or products for sale please do not promote your forum on YJGG (your forum was set-up not out of community but out of the commercial need to drive traffic to your website), doing so diverts newbies potential posts, does not contribute to YJGG, and is considered spam. See netiquette guide.
10. Do not make personal attacks anywhere in YJGG. Comment on content, not on the contributor. "Attack the subject not the person". Personal attacks will rarely help you make a point; they hurt the YJGG community and deter members from helping create a good interactive discussion list. See: What if I don't like a members post ...?
If you are new to posting please read a netiquette guide.
Online Netiquette Uncensored
Arlene Rinaldi's Netiquette Guide
Brian Edmonds' Etiquette FAQ
Mailing List Guides
Email List FAQs
Content & site copyright © 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2006, 2007, 2008, 2009 Yahoo Jazz Guitar Group.
All rights reserved. Last modified: 09/19/03.