Press Alt+P, Enter for Previous
Press Alt+B, Enter to return to Main FAQ
Press Alt+N, Enter for Next
Occasionally posts occur which result in "flame wars" and attacks. Moderators try to intervene to prevent these occurrences.
Do not make personal attacks anywhere in YJGG. Comment on content, not on the contributor. Personal attacks will rarely help you make a point; they hurt the YJGG community and deter users from helping create a interactive discussion group.
Examples of personal attacks
Specific examples of personal attacks include but are not limited to:
* Accusatory comments such as "John is a troll", or "Janet is a useless guitar player" can be considered personal attacks if said repeatedly, in bad faith, or with sufficient venom.
* Negative personal comments and "I'm better than you" attacks, such as "You have no life."
* Racial, sexual, homophobic, ageist, religious or ethnic epithets directed against another contributor. (Disagreement over what constitutes a religion, race, sexual preference, or ethnicity is not a legitimate excuse.)
* Using someone's affiliations as a means of dismissing or discrediting their views — regardless of whether said affiliations are mainstream or extreme.
* Profanity directed against another contributor.
* Threats of legal action, common net etiquette regards this as incivil behaviour.
* Threats of violence, including death threats.
* Posting a link to an external source that fits the commonly-accepted threshold for a personal attack.
Examples that are not personal attacks
YJGG members engage in debate it is an essential part of why YJGG was established. Be civil and adhere to good net etiquette when stating disagreements to avoid personalizing them and try to minimize unnecessarily antagonistic comments. Disagreements with other members can be discussed without resorting to personal attacks. It is important not to personalize comments that are directed at content and actions, but it is equally important not to interpret such comments as personal attacks. Specific examples of comments that are not personal attacks include, but are not limited to:
* Disagreements about content such as "Your statement about X is wrong" or "Your statement is a point of view, not fact" are not personal attacks.
* Personal attacks do not include civil language used to describe a players music, and when made without involving their personal character, should not be construed as personal attacks.
If a thread occurs which you feel has attacked you personally, the best course of action is to contact the member directly and politely ask them to remove the offensive post.
ALL MEMBERS CAN DELETE THEIR OWN POSTS.
Note the moderators cannot remove other members posts without their expressed permission unless their post violates the TOS agreement. To delete a members posts which have already been publicly posted without their permission is a complex legal matter and violates the TOS agreement and their rights to free speech.
Content & site copyright © 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2006, 2007, 2008, 2009 Yahoo Jazz Guitar Group.
All rights reserved. Last modified: 09/19/03.